Wednesday 22 October 2014

The smell of sambhar

So I decided in the bus, I'll take the earphones off and speak to my co-passenger. And I did. It didn't take me hours of courage and mentally rehearsing conversations, took me few moments. And I am glad I did. For the lady though at first asked me a question in my language was apparently not from my state, I wouldn't have learned that had I ignored her after smiling and telling her that her stop is two stops after mine. I bade her bye and got off the bus with a smile, which is unusual because I always hate getting off there, because I hate college.

On my way home, I took the regular shortcut which was now a piece of land overgrown with plants, a mini forest in the making. My nostrils were being haunted by the strong smell of sambhar coming from a house's kitchen nearby. It was an aroma first, slowly it grew into an odour I had to escape. I smelled sambhar everywhere, though it was raining lightly it had not the smell of rain but sambhar. And something told me that at home we were having sambhar for lunch. I couldn't tell if I was angry to find Sambhar in the pressure cooker or happy my prediction was right.

My grandmother gladly announced they had made sambhar and I could eat a hearty lunch. But I disappointed her saying I wanted idli with it. All the smell and sight of sambhar has made me crave idli. Now I can't have sambhar without idli.

I can't remember what I was going to write in this blog, it surely was something interesting and I had to write about it. I forgot. I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment